Milk Thistle has been widely studied and scientifically proven to:
- Be Hepatoprotective - This means it helps protect the liver from damage.
- Be Hepatorestorative - This means it helps heal liver cells.
- Provide essential oils
- Contain valuable trace minerals
- Have Betaine (Trimethyglycine) - a powerful glutathione regenerator
Glutathione is the body's primary antioxidant; its depletion is common during disease. Providing additional glutathione by adding Betaine is one way to heal the body's diseased tissues.
See also: Silymarin 80 and Milk Thistle Seeds
Milk Thistle as an excellent supplement for liver support. Most products come in pill form, as seen with our Silymarin 80 product. This product is in an alcohol FREE tincture. It is a great way to supplement Milk Thistle in cats, reptiles, small dogs and birds.
Consider Milk Thistle for:
- Chronic Liver disease
- Acute Hepatitis
- Viral Hepatitis
- Liver poisonings including aflatoxins (see our article on aflatoxins)
- When using drugs that can injure the liver (NSAIDS, Phenobarbitol)
- Preventative in animals with history of liver disease
- Early stages of liver enzyme elevation
- Lead and Zinc poisoning
- Inflammatory cardiac (Heart) diseases
- Kidney disease
- Immune modulation
- Delays the onset and severity of diabetes
- Effective for pancreatitis
- Liver cirrhosis
Dosage (given by mouth) (11 mg/drop):
- 1/4 dropperful twice daily
- 1-25 lbs: 1/2 - 1 dropperful twice daily
- 25-50 lbs: 1 - 2 dropperfuls twice daily
- 50-100 lbs: 2 - 3 dropperfuls twice daily
- 1 drop per 30 -100 grams of body weight twice daily
- 1/4 dropperful (.25 ml) orally twice daily)